top of page

Cuban Cinema

March 8 - 16, 2019

March is a perfect time to take a break from the cold and visit Cuba, which, like other Caribbean nations, has warm weather and fabulous beaches, parks, villages, and towns.  But Cuba also has an international reputation for producing some of the best, most popular, and most innovative cinema in Latin America. 

Join us—with University of Vermont Professor John Waldron, University of Havana professors, and Cuban film luminaries—for a survey of Cuban Cinema, from the revolutionary "Golden Age" period to recent popular films and new experimental cinema. We will view and discuss several award-winning films, analyzing them through the lens of Cuba's social and historical contexts. 


We will also tour Havana. You will have time to explore this fascinating city, known for its rich history, culture, architecture and music. 



Costs and other details

Apply through the University of Vermont (UVM) Continuing Education / Travel Study Program. This course = 1 credit (Spanish). 

Program Fee: $1,460*

A $500 non-refundable deposit is due at the time you are admitted to the program.


  • In-country transportation

  • Housing accommodations

  • Cuban health insurance

  • Some meals

Not Included:

  • College tuition and fees**, see UVM Student Financial Services

  • Airfare, estimated cost $900

  • Cancel for any reason flight insurance (strongly encouraged)

  • Baggage fees

  • Vaccinations and any associated costs

  • Books and materials

  • Passport fees

  • Travel visa, estimated cost $150

  • Some meals, estimated cost $100

  • Personal and entertainment expenses

  • Optional excursions

  • Anything not specified as included in the program

*Trip cost subject to change due to unanticipated changes.

**Travel Study courses are regarded as normal UVM courses and as such, normal tuition and fees apply. Those who aren't UVM students can sign up as Continuing Ed, see below.

For more information:

Please note: If you're interested in this trip and you're not a UVM student, contact Professor John Waldron.  With his ok, you can apply as a Continuing Ed student at this link.

bottom of page